This year JSA is introducing a new Civics Immersion Program! The program is an entirely virtual, three-week intensive non-credit program, creating innovation and a continuous learning space.
Participants can choose to take an elective course in argumentation and the use of evidence. This experience is designed to support and empower high school students to look beyond problems and focus on solution-oriented action. Students will dig deeper into the most pressing issues we face today and apply lessons learned to solve real-life problems in their communities.
Students will also participate in social activities and engage with guest speakers and presenters.
Program Goals & Outcomes
In the Civics Immersion Program, students have the chance to build a community of peers and mentors committed to civic engagement and action.
By the end of the program, students will:
- Be better equipped to actively participate in government and politics at the national, state, and local levels
- Be able to lead and participate in civil discussions with people from different backgrounds and perspectives
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills, helping students inspire others to become change agents in their communities
- Develop and hone essential critical thinking skills and be ready to address current and future political, economic, and social issues facing your community and society-at-large
- Be better suited to succeed in secondary and post-secondary education environments