The Young Women’s Leadership Institute is an engaging and hands-on digital experience created to empower young women in their everyday lives. Leadership is a skill that can be learned and nurtured through instruction, self-reflection, and practice. In this institute, young women will learn about their own leadership styles, the history of women’s leadership in the United States, how to build teams and manage collaborative relationships, how leadership intersects with identity, and how all young women have the opportunity to lead in their communities. This institute provides direct experience in community organizing and action planning. Previous participants have successfully created and implemented community action plans and nonprofit organizations.
In addition to experiential projects and instruction, students will have an opportunity to hear from women currently leading on critical issues in our country. Past speakers and presenters include Ambassador Susan Rice, Senator Amy Klobuchar, Mayor London Breed, Dr. Brooke Rios, Executive Director of New Los Angeles Charter Schools, Dr. Kelley Le, Author and Climate Science Activist, and Dr. Marie Peoples, Deputy County Manager, Coconino County.
How Will it Work?
The web-based version of YWLI will include panel discussions, presentations from women leaders, classroom learning, and an experiential learning activity aligned with all of the information being presented.
- Participants will understand and be better equipped to participate in government/politics at the national, state, and local levels
- Participants will be able to lead and participate in civil conversations with people from different backgrounds and perspectives
- Participants will learn and demonstrate effective 21st-century leadership skills
- Participants will develop and hone essential critical thinking skills and be ready to address current and future political, economic, and social issues facing the world
- Students will be better suited to succeed in secondary and post-secondary education environments
- Classroom educators will increase their ability/capacity to deliver engaging civic leadership lessons in the learning environment